Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First things first


I'd like to take a moment to thank the internet for this opportunity. It always seemed to me the only real way to make your voice heard was an op ed piece. With the internet and places like google, now anybody can. For whatever reason, whatever time of day. I can't promise that I won't ramble on, or make any sense. I will try my best to post at least weekly.


My name is Harry Pocius. I've been a photographer in New York City for a number of years. My specialty is photography. I've shot portraits, food, still life, babies, etc. The only thing I haven't tried yet is cars. I've worked as a photographer, second photographer, digital tech, and assistant. I was even, for a short time, an ARMY photographer. My goal as a photographer right now is to make beautiful and cool environmental portraits.
The above image is of MacheteLatte mm#895892 and is a perfect indicator of the work I strive for. She was wonderful to collaborate with and had plenty of fluid movements and poses. I firmly believe the more time you spend communicating with a prospective portrait subject the easier the shoot will go. Sometimes you don't have that luxury and it's easy to become anxious, especially if you don't have the lighting worked out. In those moments I rely on the words a cantor once told me. He said "most people tend to speed up when they are nervous, especially with public speaking. Don't do this! Slow down, take your time. It may feel slightly awkward but it's a million times better than triping on your tongue." I've found his words go beyond speaking or reading publicly. It works with anything you may have an audience for. Anytime you feel nervous in front of people, slow down just a little. Remember to breath. That should get you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment